A trail running paradise waiting to be explored
In this corner of Southern Spain, landscape, climate, wildlife and cultural history combine to create one of the most exciting and unique trail running arenas in the whole of Europe. Whether you’re looking for a day out exploring the hills, keen to give your marathon training a high-altitude boost, or seeking long challenging days to prepare you for your next ultra marathon, we will find you the perfect trails to match your ambition.
Top five reasons Andalucía provides the ideal trail running location:
- Well served with high quality trails featuring a diverse mix of climbs, technical routes and beautiful long-distance paths, there are endless opportunities for exploring the area.
- Home to the highest mountains in Western Europe outside of the Alps and with more than 25 peaks over 3000m, the Sierra Nevada is the ideal location for high-altitude training.
- Average mid-winter temperatures of 15ºC and sunny days take the sting out of winter marathon training. When temperatures rise in the summer, the cooler climates of the high peaks provide welcome relief to the surrounding heat.
- The Moorish acequias (water channels) and fuentes (springs/fountains) throughout the area provide a plentiful supply of fresh mountain water along the trails, as well as the opportunity to experience the cultural heritage of the area first hand.
- Ideally located and with excellent accessibility, trail running days can easily be incorporated into city breaks in Granada, or holidays on the Costa Tropical.
Tell me more!
We have a selection of sample itineraries and holiday packages available below to give you a sense of what the area has to offer, but these can be easily adapted to suit your particular interests or training needs: for example with more or fewer miles each day, or with rest days or dynamic rest days hiking interspersed. Holidays can range from one day to one week, either based in a single location, or moving about to explore everything the area has to offer.
Contact us to discuss your ideas
Or see what the trails are like out here via Instagram: @matt.in.the.mountains